Saturday, February 14, 2009

What Fruits and Veggies are in Season?

I commonly hear people talking about what fruits and veggies are in season. From best I can tell most people don't know what's in season when. In our local area, seasons look a lot like this...

Spring
Asparagus
Blackberries
Green Onions
Leeks
Lettuces
New Potatoes
Peas
Red Radishes
Rhubarb
Spinach
Strawberries
Watercress

Summer
Apricots
Blueberries
Cherries
Eggplant
Fresh Herbs
Green Beans
Hot Peppers
Melons
Okra
Peaches
Plums
Sweet Corn
Sweet Peppers
Tomatoes
Zucchini

Fall
Apples
Broccoli
Brussels Sprouts
Cauliflower
Collards
Grapes
Kale
Pears
Persimmons
Pumpkins
Winter Squash
Yams

Winter
Beets
Cabbage
Carrots
Citrus
Daikon Radishes
Onions
Rutabagas
Turnips
Winter Squash

I'm sure I forgot somethings on my list but this should at least be a little helpful for people who aren't sure what to be looking for at the local market or co-op.

No comments: