Sunday, October 26, 2008

Penny's Cranberry Relish

My Aunt Penny gave me this recipe when I first moved out from living with my parents. Her only request? Make it only at the holidays...that's what keeps it special. So I'll ask that you do do the same.

Ingredients:

1 jar rasberry preserves
1 bag whole cranberries
1-2 T freshly grated ginger
1/4 c apple or orange juice
1 T orange or lime rind
2 apples (diced)

Directions: Place cranberries and apples in the food processor. Blend until the consistancy of pickle relish. Stir in ginger, rinds and rasberry preserves. Add apple juice until the consistancy that you like. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge *up to 6 days* or freezer.

Originally this recipe it called for OJ and orange rind...but I'm allergic so I adapted it

If your cranberries are very bitter...you might need to add a tablespoon or two of sugar.

I make this recipe at least two days before I want it. It gets better with time...plus it saves on the amount of things you do on an actual holiday!

No comments: