Sunday, December 6, 2009

Sugar Cookies with Frosting


I wanted to make Layla sugar cookies like my Grandma Darlene and Aunt Lois used to make. But, no one seems to be able to find/remember that recipe...so... off to the internet I went. I knew the frosting only had 4 ingredients so I went looking for it first. I found this frosting listed several places in the exact same quantities...so we tried that. The sugar cookie recipe is the one I found with the least amount of ingredients, for no other reason then cookies should be simple and pure and light and not filled with random stuff and random steps. It was also listed in several places so I figure it's gotta be good.


Take 1/2 c butter (1 stick), 1 c sugar and 2 eggs and cream them together in your mixer (or by hand). Sift together 2 c flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda...then slowly add it to your mixer until well combined with wet ingredients. Add 1/2 tsp vanilla and 2 TBSP milk. Chill 30 minutes. Roll out on a well powdered surface until 1/4 inch thick. (It took a lot of flour the dough was still very sticky)


Cut with cookie cutters, cook 8 to 10 minutes @ 375 degrees. Let cool on rack.


Frosting: Combine 1/4 c butter, 2 c powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 TBSP milk. Divide in half, if desired, and add food coloring (4 drops) to each half to make 2 colors. I made one color so I did 8 drops into the mixer of green.


Frost cooled cookies and top with sprinkles.


Also, honestly, this was a little thick so next time I will probably pipe it instead of spreading it, but it still tastes yummy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Miss Allie...nice recipe! Just stopping by to let you know about the Foodista Best of Food Blogs Cookbook contest. I thought you might want to enter some of your recipes for a chance to be published in the book. Here's the link for more info: http://www.foodista.com/blogbook
Good luck!